Monitoring employee performance has become increasingly important in today’s business world. This is especially true in the high-stress and fast-paced environments of modern corporations, where the slightest mistake of an employee can have a serious impact on the company’s bottom line and overall performance.
If we talk about the time when employees were monitored manually, it was nearly impossible to get an overall view of productivity and progress, making it very difficult to identify potential problems early on and take remedial action.
Furthermore, manual tracking of individual performance was highly labor-intensive, time-consuming, and often inaccurate, which made it a costly practicefor companies to adopt.
Thankfully with the passage of time, advanced technology-based platforms like employee monitoring system have gained momentum and proved to be a cost-effective and efficient way to manage and monitor employee performance which helps businesses to have a complete overview of their workforce in real-time.
These days, the majority of businesses are shifting to employee monitoring software to better manage their workforce and achieve desired results. Not only this but businesses are actually finding these software to be an asset to their business.
But what employee monitoring software actually is? What is the history of employee monitoring software, why these software are on the boom nowadays, and what are the benefits of using such software?
If you are asking these same questions, then this is the right place for you to get started. In this blog, we will cover everything you need to know about employee monitoring software to help you make an informed decision when selecting the right product for your business.
So without any further ado, let’s get started with the very first topic.
History Of Employee Monitoring Software
The history of employee monitoring software can be traced back to the early days of computerized recordkeeping. In the late 1960s, IBM and other large companies began using mainframe computers to manage their businesses. At that time, this revolutionary technology helped companies switch from manual monitoring to maintaining records of attendance, leaves, and work in excel, PDF, or doc formats. But still, they required data entry people for the task. Though it was a big switch from paper to computer, still manual labor cost was involved and also manual errors..
As technology continued to evolve, so did the way companies tracked employee performance. In the early 1990s, desktop computers became widespread enough that employers began using software to monitor employees’ work performance. These applications allowed managers to quickly identify issues or problems with employees’ performances.
Today, employee monitoring software are so advanced that there is no need for data entry people, everything is automatic. With the switch of a button, task monitoring starts, and reports can be generated automatically as per specific requirements.. These software allow managers to keep tabs on employee productivity, communication patterns, and compliance with company policy. By monitoring employees’ performance in real time, employers can quickly identify potential issues and take appropriate action accordingly, helping businesses run more smoothly.
As we are now familiar with the history of Employee Monitoring Software, it is now time to understand what employee monitoring software actually is-
What Is Employee Monitoring Software?
Employee monitoring software is a computer program that employers use to monitor their employees’ activities while using company-owned devices or connected to the company’s network.
This type of software can be used to track the time that employees spend working, the websites they visit, the emails they send and receive, and other computer-related activities. Some employee monitoring software also includes features such as screenshot capture, keystroke tracking, and real-time employee activity monitoring.
Employers often use employee monitoring software to ensure employees use company resources effectively and efficiently. It can also be used to identify and prevent unauthorized access to company data, detect cyberbullying or other inappropriate behavior, and improve productivity by identifying bottlenecks or other inefficiencies in the workplace.
With the understanding of employee monitoring software, let’s now look at a different type of employee monitoring software.
What Are The Different Types Of Employee Monitoring Software?
There are various types of employee monitoring software, each with unique features. Some software providers offer platforms that can monitor employees’ internet activity, while others focus on monitoring employee productivity and performance.
Some of the most popular types of employee monitoring system include:
1) Computer & Internet Usage Monitoring
This involves tracking and monitoring an employee’s use of company-owned computers and devices and their internet activity. This can include tracking the websites they visit, the programs they use, and the amount of time they spend on certain tasks.
2) Email & Communication Monitoring
This involves tracking and monitoring an employee’s use of company-owned email accounts and other forms of electronic communication, such as instant messaging or texting.
3) Physical Monitoring
When it comes to physical monitoring, companies will often set up cameras or sensors to track an employee’s movements and activities. This can include tracking their attendance, how long they spend in designated areas to complete their tasks, and how frequently they take breaks, allowing businesses to get a more detailed understanding of their work habits.
This involves tracking the amount of time an employee spends working on their assigned tasks, as well as measuring their level of productivity. This information can be used to help management to improve their workflows, better manage their team, and assess their overall level of performance to have complete insight into their employees’ productivity.
5) Location Monitoring
Companies may also use location monitoring software to track an employee’s whereabouts during and outside work hours. This can include tracking their movements around the company building, on company grounds, or even when they are on the go. Such information can be invaluable for ecommerce businesses concerned with delivering goods and services to customers in a timely manner.
We now have a better understanding of different types of employee monitoring apps that are currently available. Let’s now understand why employee monitoring system is on the boom, why companies are choosing to use these software for monitoring employees, and what are the benefits.
Why Is Employee Monitoring Software On The Boom Nowadays?
If we talk about the past few years alone, we can easily say that employee monitoring software is on a booming trend. There are several reasons for this.
One reason is that it can help businesses improve productivity and efficiency. By tracking how employees spend their time, employers can identify areas where they may be able to streamline processes or eliminate unnecessary tasks. This can help increase productivity and improve the organization’s overall performance.
Another reason for the increased use of employee monitoring system is the rise of remote work. With many employees working from home or other remote locations, it can be more challenging for employers to ensure they meet their performance expectations. Employee monitoring software can help employers track the progress of remote workers and ensure that they are meeting their goals.
Finally, employee monitoring system can help employers ensure compliance with various laws and regulations, such as those related to data privacy and security.
By tracking employee activity, employers can ensure that they are not engaging in behaviors that could put the company at risk.
Overall, employee monitoring system has become more popular in recent years due to the various perks it can provide to businesses, including increased productivity, better performance, and compliance with laws and regulations.
Why Do Companies Monitor Their Employees With Employee Monitoring Software?
Monitoring employees is one of the oldest and most fundamental practices in business. It allows companies to keep track of their workers’ performance and ensure that they adhere to company policies.
Monitoring also allows companies to identify potential problems early on, and to address them before they become bigger issues. There are several reasons why companies monitor their employees. Some common reasons include the following:
1) Ensuring Compliance With Laws, Regulations, And Company Policies
Companies may monitor their employees to follow relevant laws, regulations, and company policies. This could include monitoring email and internet usage to ensure that employees are not engaging in inappropriate or illegal activities.
2) Improving Productivity
Another reason that companies monitor their employees is to improve their productivity. By monitoring employees’ performance, companies can identify areas they need to work on further and help them improve their skills. This could include providing feedback and training to help employees improve their work speed, accuracy, productivity, and efficiency.
3) Detecting Problems Early
Employee monitoring also helps companies detect problems early on. Companies can identify potential issues such as absenteeism, low productivity, or misconduct by monitoring employee behavior. This allows them to address them before they become bigger problems and disrupt the team’s workflow.
4) Getting Insights & Reports
Besides monitoring employees’ behavior, companies also use employee monitoring system to get insights and reports. This could include monitoring employee communication, performance, and efficiency. This information can then be used to improve company operations and strategies.
5) Making Informed Decisions
Employee monitoring also allows companies to make informed decisions. By getting an overview of the team’s performance, companies can understand which areas need improvement and make changes accordingly, which helps businesses to operate more effectively to enhance their overall performance.
These are just some reasons companies monitor employees with employee monitoring software. It is a vital part of running a successful business and allows companies to achieve their goals efficiently and effectively.
Also check here: Best Work From Home Monitoring Software
Benefits Of Employee Screen Monitoring Software
1. Improved Productivity: By monitoring employee activity, organizations can identify patterns of inactivity or inefficient work habits and take steps to address them.
2. Enhanced Security: Employee monitoring software can help prevent data breaches and other security incidents by alerting managers to suspicious activity.
3. Better Communication: Some employee monitoring tools include features for tracking and managing employee communication, which can help improve collaboration and transparency within an organization.
4. Reduced Costs: By improving productivity and reducing security risks, employee monitoring software can help businesses to save money.
5. Increased Transparency: Managers can have better visibility into employee activities and performance to make informed decisions, leading to increased trust and cooperation among team members.
Congratulations, you have learned much about Employee Screen Monitoring Software to get started, but that’s not all. Next, we will discuss how to choose the right software for your business.
Factors To Consider While Choosing Employee Screen Monitoring Software?
Employee screen monitoring software can play a big role in improving organizational productivity and morale. However, before choosing a software, it is important to consider a few factors that will ensure it is used in a way that is beneficial for employees, employers, and the organization as a whole.
1) Compatibility With Your Existing Systems
Ensure the chosen employee monitoring software is compatible with your existing systems and can be easily integrated.
Various employee monitoring software products are available, with different costs and features. It is important to compare costs and features to find the best option for your needs.
Determine the most important needs of your organization and ensure that the chosen employee monitoring software offers features catering to those needs. Some common features include time tracking, productivity & activity monitoring, and communication monitoring.
Ensure that the employee monitoring software respects employee privacy and complies with relevant laws and regulations.
Consider whether the employee monitoring software is easy for your employees to use and understand, or if it will require technical knowledge to operate.
Look for employee monitoring software that offers good customer support if you have any questions or issues. This allows you to clear your queries and continue your workflow flawlessly.
Consider how scalable the employee monitoring software is. If you plan to use the software for a large number of employees, ensure it can handle large volumes of data.
Look for employee monitoring software that allows you to customize settings and features to meet your organization’s specific needs.
Ensure the employee monitoring app you invest in is secure. Make sure the software has been configured to protect your data and user interactions for maximum security
10) Powerful Reporting
Make sure that the chosen system offers powerful reporting on different fronts like time & attendance reports, task reports, and productivity & activity reports, etc. These reports would help you make data-driven informed decisions to boost your business.
As we have come to the end of this informative blog, it is time to explore the best employee monitoring software that you can opt for without any hitches.
Workstatus vs. Timedoctor vs. ActiveTrak: 3 Best Employee Monitoring Software To Choose From
It can be a very important tool for businesses of all sizes. By monitoring employee behavior and activity, companies can ensure that their employees are performing at their best possible levels.
There are various options available on the market, so it is important to choose the right one for your business. Here are three of the best employee monitoring software available:
Workstatus is a comprehensive employee monitoring & management tool, backed by powerful workforce analytics. It tracks time spent on tasks, productivity levels, employee activity, performance trends, and internet usage. It also includes features such as selfie validation, GPS tracking, geofencing, and much more, making it a great choice for businesses of all sizes. Start free 7 days trial today, to explore all the features
This software offers a wide range of features to help businesses monitor employee time, including hour tracking, break monitoring, and online reporting. Additionally, it offers customizable reports and notifications to keep managers up-to-date on employee performance with minimal effort.
ActivTrak is a more affordable option and offers limited features compared togther two options on this list. However, it offers simple and easy-to-use tools for tracking time, attendance, and task completion, making it perfect for businesses with fewer employees and limited resources.
Companies have long been aware of the need to monitor their employees. Employee monitoring software is one way that they can do this easily & efficiently. It allows employers to track employee activities, diagnose problems early, establish rules and regulations, and create a positive work environment that leads to efficient employee performance.
That’s all for today.
We hope you enjoyed reading this blog. If you did, then please share it on your favorite social media platform.
If you have any questions or feedback, please let us know in the comments below. We would love to hear from you.
Thank You !!
Ques 1- Can I Keep Track Of Remote Employees With Employee Monitoring Software?
Ans 1- Employee monitoring software can be used to track the activities and productivity of remote employees. These software can monitor things like the websites visited, time spent on tasks, and keystrokes by the employee.
Some employee monitoring apps also includes features like screen recording and screenshot capture, which can monitor the employee’s work and ensure that they are completing their tasks as expected. It is highly useful for ensuring that remote employees are working effectively and efficiently.
It also helps to prevent data breaches and other security issues as it allows employers to set rules for their remote workforce and provide automated alerts when employees break those rules or engage in activities that could compromise company information, making it an invaluable tool for businesses with remote employees.
Ques 2-How Does The Employee Monitoring Software Work?
Ans 2- Employee monitoring software is a computer program that helps employers keep track of their employees’ whereabouts, activities, and communications. It is often used in workplaces where safety or security are concerns.
Here are seven steps that outline the general process of how employee monitoring software works:
- Installation: The employee monitoring software is installed on the employee’s device, either by the employees or by the employer.
- Configuration: The employee monitoring tool is configured to track and monitor specific activities, such as keystrokes, internet usage, and communication. The employer may set specific rules and policies for what activities should be monitored and how the data should be used.
- Data collection: The employee monitoring software begins to track and collect data on the employees’ activities. This data is typically stored on a remote server or cloud-based storage system.
- Data analysis: The collected data is analyzed by the employee monitoring software or a team of administrators and can be used to evaluate employee productivity and identify inappropriate or unauthorized activities.
- Reporting: The employee monitoring tool generates reports based on the analyzed data. These reports may be provided to the employer or a team of administrators responsible for employee performance to make necessary adjustments for enhancing employee performance.
- Feedback: The employer or administrators can use the reports generated by the employee monitoring software to provide feedback to the employees on their performance. This feedback can be used to help employees improve their productivity or address any inappropriate or unauthorized activities.
- Ongoing monitoring: The employee monitoring system continues to track and collect data on employee activities, and the data analysis and reporting process is repeated regularly. This allows the employer to monitor employee performance and identify any changes in behavior over time to make informed decisions for the betterment of the company.
Ques 3- How To Implement Employee Monitoring System In The Workplace?
Ans 3- Employee monitoring system is a great tool for increasing productivity, reducing errors, and providing valuable insight into employees’ performance. Implementing an effective employee monitoring program can be challenging, but it can yield excellent results when done properly.
Here are a few key steps that employers should follow when implementing employee monitoring software in the workplace:
- Determine the purpose and need for employee monitoring: Employers should carefully consider their reasons for implementing employee monitoring software and ensure that it aligns with their business goals and objectives. It’s important to be transparent about the purpose of the software and to communicate this clearly to employees.
- Develop a clear policy on employee monitoring: Employers should develop a clear policy that outlines the types of activities that will be monitored, how the data will be used, and any limitations on the use of the data. The policy should be communicated to employees and included in the employee handbook.
- Obtain employee consent: In most cases, employers will need to obtain the consent of their employees before installing employee monitoring software on their devices. This can be done through a written agreement or through an opt-in process.
- Choose the right employee monitoring software: Employers should carefully research and evaluate different options to ensure they choose software that meets their needs and aligns with their business goals.
- Install and configure the software: Once the employee monitoring app has been chosen, it should be installed and configured on the employees’ devices. Employers should ensure that the software is properly configured to track and monitor the activities relevant to their business needs.
- Communicate the implementation of the software: Employers should communicate to employees that the employee monitoring app has been implemented and explain the purpose of the software and any policies that are in place related to its use.
- Monitor employee activities and provide feedback: Once the employee monitoring system is in place, employers can use the data collected to monitor employee activities and provide feedback on their performance. This can include providing performance reviews and tips on improving their productivity which will lead the business to higher growth.
Ques 4- Is Employee Monitoring App Legal To Use?
Ans 4- Yes, employee monitoring app is generally considered legal as long as it is used in accordance with relevant privacy laws and employment laws.
In many jurisdictions, employers are allowed to monitor their employees’ activities while they are using company-owned devices as long as the employees are made aware of the monitoring and have provided their consent. However, there are some limitations to the use of employee monitoring software.
For example, many privacy laws regulate the collection, use, and disclosure of personal information, and employers may be required to obtain the consent of their employees before collecting and using certain types of data.
In addition, employment laws may limit the types of activities that can be monitored and how the data collected can be used.
It’s important for employers to be familiar with the relevant laws and regulations in their jurisdiction and to ensure that their use of employee monitoring system complies with these laws. Employers should also be transparent with their employees about the use of the software and obtain their employees’ consent before installing it on their devices.
Also Read: Growth Strategy Checklist